Amongst my bins of cut fabric scraps is a bin of orphan blocks. Not feeling motivated to work on any of my current works in progress, I pulled out those blocks and began to play. These are leftovers from my Tula Strings quilt. I began by putting them all on the design wall for inspiration. Certainly not enough for even a small quilt, and there’s no way I’m doing more of these blocks!
Next, I cut each block into four. This would give me more to play with and some flexibility. I put those on the design wall with random scraps. No, no, no!
I then coordinated each set with a solid and made four patches.
After some rearranging on the wall, I divided the two color groups diagonally, and used two solid colors to make blocks the size of each four patch. A diagonal row of both the solid colors as half square triangles seemed to both divide and unite the two sections.
A mottled dark gray border pulled it all in. There’s only navy blue fleece left for backings, so this won’t be quilted until I restock the fleece. I’m not in love with the final outcome, but I do like it and the more I look at it the more it grows on me. I think quilting will help it come alive a little more, perhaps using a variegated thread. Once quilted, this will be another Hospice donation.
And, yikes, another month! I’m looking for motivation to work on the projects in progress. There’s so much effort already put into them, seems a shame that they just sit there. Soon.. Soon. This is where I now stand with the new year: