A Royal Bloom

Several years ago – 5 maybe? – using Kim McClean’s pattern “Lollypop Trees,” I began appliqueing the first block. With only a few pieces to go, I decided to do the blocks with a different background. I abandoned the block I was working on and went full steam ahead with the new background. A couple of months ago I pulled out the original block and finished it. There was just too much effort invested into it to just let it sit in a closet forever.

I added a border with curved edges, quilted and bound it. It makes a lovely wall hanging and is now hanging at the Meadowbrook Inn in Blowing Rock. And…it’s another finish! There are also six Lolypop Tree blocks all complete and waiting for me to design sashings and a border. I’ve decided I want to do something different than the pattern calls for. It won’t happen for a while, though – I have been auditioning several fabrics but haven’t found the right fit. There’s just too much work in these blocks to settle.

There’s also been a lot of outside time lately. The temps have been so gorgeous – perfect for weeding and sitting outside to read or stitch. Unfortunately, the leaves have begun to fall and we’ve had another banner year for acorns. They really are such a menace!

Fall really does offer so much beauty here:

Azaleas
Fatsia Blooms
Camelia
Nandina Berries – perfect for fall arrangements.
Japanese Maples offer a beautiful deep red fall color.

Linking up: Oh Scrap! To Do Tuesday N&TT

1. Yay! Cannot wait to see your complete masterpiece!

2. What a terrific way to finish that block that you put so much time into! It is a lovely finish!!

3. Love this quilt!!! Miss my quilting peeps… hopeful for a gathering soon😊

4. It’s a wonderful block and finish.

5. Good afternoon! Your pice is lovely. You know, I see a resemblance with the Fatsia blooms – a very similar shape of the circles and stems. Thanks so much for linking up this week! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

6. That’s a beautiful wall-hanging! I really love your applique work. Fun to see your work hanging at the inn, too!

7. What a beautiful finish! And it’s hanging in Blowing Rock, NC? That’s not far from where my oldest son is, sequestered in his dorm room for “remote instruction” at Appalachian State. I will look forward to seeing the larger appliqué project as it comes together for you. The right fabric is always worth waiting for.

8. Beautiful wall hanging, you were right to finish it, it’s a beauty!