Quick Strip Piecing

Have you ever just wanted to sew, sew, sew?! No complex cutting, no pinning, and especially no thinking! That’s exactly how I felt a few days ago.  I dug through my charity quilt bin and pulled out pretty strips that a reader donated last year. They were not full strips, some really short, some half strips and the full length ones I cut so I would have all varying sizes.  I wanted some sort of accent in there so I cut 2 x 2 1/2″ black and white blocks to put between each strip.

img_0073.jpg

And next?  I sewed! All the black and whites were attached, then each of the pieced strips got sewn together at the short ends. After that, the sewing marathon began! I sewed and sewed, jelly roll race style and ended up with quite a colorful and happy quilt top. Such a happy no-brainer!

There was enough of a dark blue fleece for the backing so the next day I sandwiched and quilted.  I had a little time the next afternoon to attach a binding and YEAH! Another Hospice quilt was born, and added to the pile that will be donated in November.

This process was the cure I needed to get back to my other Works in Progress.  A win-win!

Linking Up:  Moving it Forward Monday    Design Wall Monday   WOW    NTT                       Put Your Foot Down  Whoop Whoop Fridays

1. Pretty string quilt, it’s nice to have a quick and easy project!

2. I love it! I’m getting back to my Hospice quilts this week. Kelsey (almost 12) stayed overnight and we spent yesterday piecing part of a quilt top for her. She is a quick study and really has a good eye for color. It was a treat.

I hope the FVQ will be back in business in August. It has been a strange confluence of events that has kept us from meeting for several months. I would very much like to recruit a few more quilters. You are, by far, the most productive in the group. You are inspiring me to think out of the box for piecing some quick tops. I’ve found that Pinterest is a great resource.

Jean

3. A win-win-win – using up scraps, a hospice quilt and your sewjo is back!

4. Happy Sunday! Yes, yes, yes. I’ve been wanting and wishing to just sew mindlessly. Just sew seams – no pinning, no matching. Or even tack down a binding, please. I’ll have to get going on a very similar project ASAP. Thanks for the suggestion. ~smile~ Roseanne

5. Wow that is quick, and it is a pretty quilt. I am sure the recipient will love it!

6. Thank you for the visit and comment, I don’t think I have ever been to your site. I’m not very creative with scrap quilts unless i have scrap yardage. This is a great idea. Now I am off to explore the rest of your site.Oh, I have a linky party every Thursday.

7. Karen Marlow-Goad

great scrap quilt – nice and easy – and best of all – finished!!

8. That’s a really cute quilt. The black spacers make it.

9. Love it the black and white sqauare are like punctuation between the lines of prints.

10. Linda Corazzo

So cute…I’ve got to get my scraps out of those boxes

Sent from my iPad

11. Marianne McCormic

I’ve been working on different “strip pieced” quilts too they are fun to do.

Marianne

12. Thank you for coming back and linking up to Put your foot down. Your strip quilt is still lovely.

13. springleafstudios

Nothing like a fast project with little thinking involved to get a feeling of accomplishment and renewed motivation.

14. Those wee spots of black has made this quilt in to some thing special, amazing how a wee spot can work magic LOL Some one will be very happy.

15. Pingback: Put your foot down #11 - For the love of geese