Modern Batik Challenge

An Island Batik Adventure

image3.jpeg

The ambassador challenge for June is “Modern Batik Challenge.” I decided to make a baby-sized quilt and went to one of my Island Batik bins to choose fabrics.  I love all the blues and pulled out all the small pieces I had left from previous projects and a few of the bigger ones too.  I chose an white with a very light blue print neutral for the background.

image

From a very light weight tissue-like paper, I cut long strips 2 inches wide.  I used those as a base to randomly paper piece all the blue fabrics.  Once it was all sewn, I trimmed each of the four strips. I placed two across the top and two lengthwise on the left-hand side which created much negative space.  After all was cut to size and pieced, I machine quilted straight lines in the white spaces and used a loop-de-loop in the blue strips. Aurifil thread was used in this project.

image

This quilt will go into my stash of quilts and when there is a baby I want a quilt for, I will probably put his or her name in the large open space.  I love when baby quilts are personalized that way.

Copy of Modern Batik Challenge 39

All the Island Batik Ambassadors have been busy and I encourage you to give them a visit to see what they have created with these beautiful fabrics that Island Batik has provided us with.

Linking up with:

Linky Tuesday,   (too) Cute Tuesday,       WIPs on Wednesdays

Needle and Thread Thursday

1. What a darling quilt, so striking! I, too, have lots of blues left and should be doing something with them, but I”m going to use my surprise fabric for June’s challenge!

2. Love it, Joyce!

Thank you for coming this morning and sharing your quilts with us. It was good to be with you. Jean

3. Rebecca Grace

Darling baby quilt. I so admire quilters who have baby quilts stashed and ready to go for babies not yet born! I personally find myself scrambling to finish baby quilts before the babies head off to college… 😉

4. Great quilt. I love the way this turned out. Always nice to have that extra baby quilt on hand!

5. What a gorgeous quilt! I love it – simple and fresh, but with lots to look up when you get close!

6. Your quilt is beautiful! A great idea to keep a quilt ready for a potential baby to pop up!

7. Quilting Tangent

Pretty baby quilt.

8. Very pretty. I’m a little unclear on this procedure: “From a very light weight tissue-like paper, I cut long strips 2 inches wide. I used those as a base to randomly paper piece all the blue fabrics.” Why this kind of paper? Did you remove before quilting? Thanks for sharing

• The light weight paper was easy to remove after I trimmed the long strips. It helped to keep the strips stable. I kept the paper on until I had pieced the whole top, then removed it before quilting. I plan to write a free pattern for this one – soon I hope! Great questions – thank you!

9. This is a great modern baby quilt!

10. What a beautiful baby quilt. Sweet and simple!

11. Nice design, kept very simple.
    I often feel the need to add more blocks and details, but here you demonstrate that less is, truely, more.

12. Pingback: Chalet Stars - Secondary Pattern Challenge with Island Batik • Dizzy Quilter